Before importing you must create a wishful map structure in GDB (to add layers in map, feature types of layers with necessary spatial category). This structure depends only on your vision of task.
An import settings file saves import settings for repeating tasks and is not obligatory.
It is not recommended to write Import Settings File manually.
First you perform a setting of import interactively, and you may to save
these settings to this file.
Now, you have an empty GDB.
Next you do it:
1. Add a map to the GDB.
2. Add a layer to created map (e.g. "Layer 1").
3. Add feature type(s) to layer "Layer 1"(e.g. "Type 1").
During adding feature types you should set a spatial category of feature
types corresponding features in SHP file (area, line, point, text).
4. And, in fact, importing SHP file:
4.1 Step 1 of wizard - Select SHP file for import.
4.2 Step 2 of wizard "Setting components".
Now "List of types" panel shows all spatial types in SHP file(or empty if SHP file is empty).
You should set a correspondence between spatial categories in SHP
and GDB feature types.
- select any row in list (for example "Area");
- use context menu (click mouse right button on selected row
within "List of types" panel) and select "Import" menu element;
- dialog window "Setting import of feature type" will be open;
- select created layer "Layer 1" from combobox "Layer name";
- select created feature type "Type 1" from combobox "Feature type name" and click OK.
4.3. Steps 3-4 may be skipped by clicking "Next" and step 5 - click "Import".